- How long does the course take and when will it start?
- The course lasts for 12 hours and is run over a weekend.
- What site is the course held at?
- All courses are now going to be held at RCRâ€™s Head Office in Stafford, ST18 0YJ. However we can arrange to run courses anywhere in the country:
25/11/2017 - 26/11/2017
Other courses will be arranged to meet extra demand. These courses can also be run at your boat club with substantial discounts please contact RCR for further details.
We have four engines, which ensures all attendees get hands on experience.
Reserve a place
- Who is this course for?
- The courses are intended for owners of narrow beam boats, cruiser and yacht owners. These courses are designed for boat owners and potential boat owners who would like to know more about the specification and electrical systems of marine diesel engines and boat wiring.
- What qualifications do I need to get a place?
- There are no formal entry requirements to gain access to this course.
- What will I do on the course?
- The course involves theory and practical demonstration with participation. The topic areas covered include:
- Starting Systems
- Charging Systems
- Domestic Systems
- Panel Wiring
- General Boat electrics
- What is the timetable for the course?
|to 9.30||Tea & Coffee, Course members meet & introductions|
|9.30||INTRODUCTION – Tutor – Course|
Basic electrical units
AC & DC, Amps, Volts, Resistance, Power
Use OF METERS
Setup, Ranges to use
|11.15||COMMON CIRCUIT SYMBOLS (in book – not taught)|
BASIC DOMESTIC CIRCUIT
CALCS FOR CIRCUITS
Amps drawn – power calc.
Cables, Fuse/Circuit breaker
PRACTICAL CIRCUIT BUILDING
Build sample circuits
|1.45||BSS REQUIREMENTS & CABLE ROUTING|
BASIC MAINS CIRCUITS
USE OF RELAYS & SOLENOIDS
Diagram then Build
Starter, Alternator, Heater
Circuit then building:
Rev counter (Alt sensed + inductive)
Types, capacity, Charging calcs
Testing – practical
SPLIT CHARGING SYSTEMS
Switch, Diode, Relay
ALTERNATOR & STARTER PRACTICAL
Test & change alt. brush pack
Check & change starter solenoid. (if time)
Relay, Starter, Charging
Final questions & wash up
- Will extra study be required?
- Extra study is not required on this course.
- What specialist resources will I be able to use?
- During the course you will work both in the classroom and visit the workshop.
- Are there opportunities for work experience?
- There is no specific work experience provision built into this course.
- How will I be assessed?
- There is no assessment or exams to pass. An RYA/RCR certificate will be issued on completion of the course.
- What is the cost for the course?
- £150 for all other courses around the country.
Please note that cancellation charges do apply.
- Where will the course lead me?
- Other marine courses
Contact our office to find out more about the dates, location and costs of the courses.
Please note course information is subject to change. Please check details at time of enrolment.
Lunch can be included for an additional £12 for the weekend.
To arrange attendance contact River Canal Rescue on: 01785 785680