River Canal Rescue offer a range of RYA recognised courses through a number of partners.
- The Inland Waterways Helmsman Certificate (IWHC) for both new and experienced boaters.
- The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) for those wishing to boat in Europe.
- Tests on European regulations for inland waterways(CEVNI).
- Basic boat handling
All of our courses provide practical and theoretical training.
Why have training on boat handling?
Whether new to boating or experienced over a period of years, everyone has a duty to ensure the safety of their crew and craft.
The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Inland Waterways Helmsman Certificate (IWHC) will give that confidence and make any holiday whether on your own or a hired boat much more pleasurable.
The certificate is also the first step for the experienced boater to achieve the International Certificate of Competence (ICC), an essential requirement for people wishing to boat on European waterways.
The IWHC assumes that students have no previous experience and was developed jointly by the RYA and British Waterways to provide the practical knowledge and skills for the safe and proficient navigation of our inland waterways.
Please complete our enquiry form if you are interested in a training course.
What is covered in the courses?
- Planning the day
- Checking the craft is ready: fuel, water, gas, engine, gearbox and shaft sealing
- Preparing the craft
- Personal safety equipment
Manoeuvring the Craft
- Leaving the wall, jetty or mooring
- Coming alongside a wall, jetty or mooring
- Turning the craft in a river or canal
- Appreciation of the effects of flows, eddies and currents
- Appreciation of the effects of wind
- The effects of rudder and propeller
- Steering forwards and backwards
- Precise positioning of craft
- Craft interaction with other craft (including overtaking and passing)
- Crew interaction with other users
- Anchoring theory and practice
- Choosing where to tie up or moor
- Crew and passenger safety
- Working as a team/family
- Dealing with accidents (including man overboard, water ingress and fire on board)
- Working of locks
- Using sound signals
- Navigation lights and symbols
- Basic understanding of canal and river bye laws
- Basic understanding of collision regulations
- Environmental issues
- Communications on the river and canal
- Using ropes to secure the craft
- Using ropes to manoeuvre the craft
- Dealing with bridges, bends and tunnels
There may also be a charge for traveling depending on your location.
Please note that these courses are provided via our third party trainers who are all RYA registered and trained and located across the country.